Disability Services Liaison (DSL)
Student Veterans of America has partnered up with Wounded Warrior Project and Paralyzed Veterans of America to expand the DSL program. DSLs are student veterans who help their peers connect to underutilized campus resources, due to a lack of information during transition. DSLs complement existing services by understanding the climate and culture unique to each campus, then using peer mentorship to connect fellow student veterans. It's an instinctive, familiar learning method that builds community and normalizes the help-seeking behavior of veterans. Campuses get an effective, no-cost veteran outreach program, DSLs get a servant leadership opportunity that can be funded by the VA workstudy program, and those served get connected to important services that augment success.
1. Initial steps to implement a DSL on your campus:
- Follow SVA on LinkedIn (create a basic profile if you don't already have one).
- Identify a student veteran with a VA disability rating, who has a disability recognized by your school.
- Complete the online DSL training modules.
- Download and review the DSL Toolkit and one-pager.
2. Campus coordination:
- Coordinate with Disability Services on your campus.
- Collect baseline aggregate data on the number of student veterans registered with Disability Services (may not be available).
- Create the VA workstudy position description using the template found in the DSL Toolkit.
- Identify reporting structure (i.e. workstudy supervisor).
- Create an outreach plan that spans two semesters.
- Share your outreach plan and baseline data in your campuses’ channel on Slack.
- Consult with SVA as needed.
- Help other campuses establish a DSL by sharing your experience and helpful tips
- Look for your replacement, so you can pass the torch when it's time for you to move on.
VA facility directory
State VA office directory
State VR directory
Job Accommodation Network
Wounded Warrior Project
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Fisher House Foundation
National Resource Directory
ADA info & enforcement portal