Next Steps and Resources for Displaced Student Veterans



The closure or loss of GI Bill eligibility at for-profit schools directly impacts tens of thousands of student veterans, many of whom find themselves in debt and with non-transferable credits.


Student Veterans of America wants to ensure that displaced and affected students have the resources and support they need to complete their degrees and meet their career goals.


Anyone impacted can follow the steps below to identify new educational institutions to earn their degrees and fully utilize their education benefits.


1. Make a list of potential transfer schools

It is important to find a regionally accredited university that offers a similar program to transfer earned credits. Each university has its own policies and procedures related to the acceptance of credit earned at another university.


Student Veterans of America has partnered with College Factual which provides insights on the more than 60,000 potential educational choices available at over 2,800 U.S. colleges and universities.


The site’s advanced profiling and matching tools allows you to build the best "short list" of educational opportunities. Be sure transfer to a school that has an SVA Chapter so you can get connected to peer-network and be more likely to graduate. Click here to create a free College Factual account and start researching schools.

2. Familiarize yourself with the credit transfer process and identify residency requirements

After you have identified potential universities to transfer research the schools’ admissions policies online to determine transfer eligibility and residency requirements. You may qualify for in-state tuition and fees regardless of where you live today depending on when you separated from the military. Read this FAQ from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to learn more. 

Click here to read our Frequently Asked Questions about transferring to a new school and learn what questions to ask!


3. Contact the admissions office

Call the schools’ admissions offices to have the questions in the FAQ document addressed.


You should explain your situation and be sure to get clear, definitive answers to your questions. Once you understand the credit transfer process, residency requirements, and degree requirements, you’ll be able to make informed decisions about which universities to select.


4. Get help with your GI Bill benefits and Federal Student Loans

You may experience a lapse in GI Bill payments including the Monthly Housing Allowance if your school closes or is disapproved to pay GI Bill benefits. The Forever GI Bill authorizes the VA to restore benefits and provide relief to student veterans affected by school closures or disapprovals. Learn how to qualify here.


To learn more about your options with the GI Bill and to speak with a VA representative about your benefits, contact VA’s Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551 (Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. CST).


If you have Federal Student Loans you may be eligible to have your loans forgiven or reduced. Our partners at Veterans Education Success provide free help including legal representation to support you. Read here to learn more and contact them by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Additional Resources:

Federal Loan Forgiveness:

Students experiencing school closures may be eligible for a full discharge of their Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans. To determine your eligibility, visit the U.S. Department of Education federal student loan recovery program.


Financial Grants:

The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) provides resources and programs that may also be helpful through their Emergency Grant Program which provides funding on a case-by-case basis to assist eligible student veterans. The VFW Unmet Needs Program offers up to $1,500 in financial assistance to student veterans experiencing unexpected financial difficulties. Click here for more details.


If the loss of GI Bill benefits payments has left you in a situation where you may be facing homelessness, the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans is standing by to help. Connect with resources by clicking here, calling 1-800-VET-HELP, or sending an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


VA’s Office of Homeless Veterans is also a resource if you are at-risk of homelessness. They offer counseling support with access to housing solutions, healthcare, and community services. Visit here to learn more and call 1-877-4AIDVET (available 24/7) to speak with a representative.

SVA Support:

If you would like to speak with someone at SVA to help you through this process, please call (202) 223-4710 or contact us here.

Go to top