Eight (8) scholarships in the amount of $10,000 each will be awarded to student veterans pursuing a degree in the field of computer science. Scholarship recipients will also be invited to attend the Google Scholars' Retreat in 2020. The Scholars' Retreat provides an important networking opportunity for top students from all over the United States and Canada to meet with each other and with Google engineers in a personable, fun environment.
Interested applicants are encouraged to read the below information carefully. If you meet the eligibility requirements, please click on the link at the bottom to access the application form. Complete all fields and upload the required documents as PDFs. If you have any questions regarding the application or the scholarship, please contact us here. This scholarship application closed on Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. PT.
PLEASE NOTE: Previous recipients of the Google-SVA Scholarship are not eligible to apply.
Eligible student veterans must meet the below outlined minimum criteria.
All successful candidates must:
• Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited four-year university for the 2019-2020 academic year
• Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student at an accredited four-year university in the United States for the 2020-2021 academic year
• Maintain strong academic performance
• Be pursuing a Computer Science or Computer Engineering degree, or a degree in a closely related technical field*
• Be a current student veteran (includes members of the National Guard or Reserve), as proven by a DD-214 and transcript, OR be a student on Active Duty as proven by submission of Active Duty orders and a Memorandum of Understanding from your commanding officer indicating that you are in good standing with your unit, and transcript
• Have received an honorable discharge, or currently be in good standing with his/her branch of service
Related Technical Fields may include:
• Software Engineering
• Electrical Engineering (with a heavy computer science course load)
• Computer Engineering
• Information Systems
• Information Technology
• Applied Networking
• Systems administration
Related Technical Fields do not include:
Civil, Mechanical, or Industrial Engineering
Required Additional Documents
• Current copy of resume/CV;
• Unofficial copy of current university transcripts;
• One letter of reference from a professor, advisor or supervisor. You must arrange for one letter of reference to be submitted via the link provided below. All letters must be sent by the author, signed by the author, and be on official letterhead. Letters can also be mailed to:
Student Veterans of America
c/o Google SVA Scholarship Committee
1012 14th Street NW
Washington, D.C 20005
• DD 214 or Active Duty orders and Memorandum of Understanding from your commanding officer
• Responses to four (4) essay questions (compiled into one document)
Please answer the following questions thoroughly, yet succinctly (200-300 words per essay question).