Position Title: Executive Assistant to the President & CEO
Location: Washington, DC 20005
About the Organization
Student Veterans of America (SVA) is a 501(c)(3) higher education non-profit, headquartered in Washington, DC. With a mission focused on empowering student veterans, SVA is committed to providing an educational experience that goes beyond the classroom. Through a dedicated network of more than 1,500 on-campus chapters, SVA aims to inspire veterans by connecting student veterans with a community of dedicated chapter leaders. Every day these passionate leaders work to provide the necessary resources, network support, and advocacy to ensure student veterans can effectively connect, expand their skills, and ultimately achieve their greatest potential. For more information, visit us at www.studentveterans.org.
Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the Executive Assistant provides support through a one-on-one working relationship. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for the President & CEO as well as a liaison with the Board of Directors and the National Headquarters staff. In this role, the ideal individual will exercise strong judgement, flexibility, and adaptability to changing demands and priorities. This person must be resourceful and autonomous when taking on new tasks and projects, relying on problem-solving skills to ensure success. Over time, the ideal candidate for this position will learn to solve problems before they occur while becoming an integral part of the success of the mission of SVA. The Executive Assistant must be able to work under pressure to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
- Act as the central point of contact among executives, team members, chapter leaders, and other external partners
- Provide sophisticated calendar management; prioritize inquiries and requests, troubleshoot conflicts with little guidance, make judgements and recommendations to ensure smooth day-to-day engagements
- Manage information flow and timelines for deliverables in a timely and accurate manner
- Ensure the President & CEO’s travel is coordinated with appropriate staff and external stakeholders to maximize time spent on the road
- Support the President & CEO with internal and external communications
- Provide background information and/or supporting documents in preparation for various meetings; coordinate with other staff to prepare support materials and coordinate follow-up materials and actions
- Act as primary POC with financial tasks to include reconciliation of credit card transactions, invoicing, expense/travel reimbursements, check requests, and deposits.
- Handle or appropriately refer requests for information, and ensure appropriate and timely follow-up on internal and external requests for information or action
- Maintain correspondence and files, both written and electronic; maintain electronic and paper filing systems
- Coordinate all Executive Team meetings, staff meetings, and events for convenings, board meetings, and other logistics
- Maintain daily administrative operations of the office; conduct and manage a regular inventory of supplies; submit and follow up on office maintenance needs and building requests
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Work Experience as an Executive Assistant, Administrative Assistant, or similar role; nonprofit board experience is a plus
- Expense reporting experience, Bill.com preferred
- Calendar management experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Must have the capacity to maintain strict confidentiality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a diverse and growing team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, exceptional organizational skills, and impeccable attention to accuracy and detail
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, and independent with a sense of initiative
- Experience planning ahead and managing time effectively
- CRM/database experience, Salesforce preferred
- Ability to make appropriate, informed decisions regarding priorities and available time
- Ability to complete a high volume of tasks and projects with little or no guidance
- Ability to switch gears at a moment’s notice
- Event planning and management experience is a plus
- Passion for SVA’s mission
- Candidates who are veterans or immediate family members of veterans or serving members of the military are strongly encouraged to apply
This is a full-time position located at SVA’s National Headquarters in Washington, DC. SVA is currently operating under a remote work policy due to COVID-19 but due to the nature of this position, the candidate selected will need to live in the Washington, DC area and visit the office regularly for administrative tasks. SVA offers medical, dental and vision insurance as well as a 401k retirement plan and match.
Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] Please include “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. SVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.