The Leadership Institute is an immersive leadership program held in Washington, D.C. each fall that prepares students to affect change stretching beyond their SVA chapter and campus.
Why attend the Leadership Institute?
SVA Alumni Mentors facilitate attendees through a foundational leadership experience to develop core values and hone their leadership skills. Selected through a competitive application process, the nation’s top SVA Chapter Leaders leave with an awareness of their personal leadership ethos and a connected network of peers.
Travel, lodging, and meals will be provided by SVA for all students selected to attend by a competitive application process. The 2020 application will not be open to previous SVA Leadership Institute attendees, but we encourage past attendees to help us spread the word!
Outcomes for Attendees:
- Understand your most impactful core values.
- Learn how core values directly support and reinforce your leadership ethos.
- Create a defined personal leadership vision to directly support the “why” behind that ethos.
- Develop an action plan to see your vision come to fruition.
- Join an established support and follow-up network with your fellow participants, facilitators, and mentors.
Who Should Apply?
SVA is looking for the following three core strengths in each attendee:
- Propensity for Learning: You’re a dedicated life-long learner who recognizes the need to sharpen skills not only in leadership but all aspects of life.
- Openness to New Ideas: You’re receptive to discussing and adopting new concepts and leadership philosophies, even when they may challenge your own.
- Collaborative: You believe strongly in working as a member of a team and adopting a mentality which is conducive to collaboration and sharing of responsibility.
Components of the SVA Leadership Institute
- Tours & Meetings with Lawmakers: SVA’s National Headquarters staff will take attendees to meet with lawmakers and learn about national advocacy for student veterans.
- Evening Activities & Hosted Receptions: Receptions and team building activities will be hosted in partnership with leaders in higher education, government, veteran organizations, and business.
- SVA Leadership Institute Curriculum: The SVA Leadership Institute is a foundational leadership experience that focuses on developing core values and honing leadership skills to affect change stretching beyond your SVA chapter and campus.
- Mentorship: Attendees will be coached by SVA Alumni mentors on the importance of leadership behavior, personal branding, how to deliver results, and fostering relationships.
Sponsored with generous support by: