The Leadership Institute
This premier student leadership experience brings together our country’s top chapter leaders through an immersive experience designed to equip tomorrow’s leaders to serve and create a lasting community of impact.
The 2021 Leadership Institute will be held from October 2-23, 2021.
Why attend the Leadership Institute?
If selected to attend, you will work through an immersive leadership experience to develop your core values and hone leadership skills. The application process is competitive; you will leave this experience with the tools needed to better serve others, a lasting network to support you, and an expectation to grow your impact on your campus, in your community, and for your country.
The end result is the development of your personal leadership ethos—that “force” that guides your beliefs, behaviors, and actions—as well as a tight-knit community of fellow chapter leaders and mentors to support your growth.
All costs are covered for those selected to attend. While the 2021 Leadership Institute is not be open to past attendees, we encourage past attendees to help us spread the word!
Apply by September 24th. The Institute is designed to be compatible with your full time class schedule and other obligations, is largely self-paced so you can work through the material when you have the time, and encourages you to engage in small groups with accomplished mentors. All attendees will receive a certificate of completion, an official t-shirt, and official SVA challenge coin.
What You’ll Learn:
- Understand your most impactful core values.
- Learn how core values directly support and reinforce your leadership ethos.
- Create a defined personal leadership vision to directly support the “why” behind that ethos.
- Develop an action plan to see your vision come to fruition.
- Join an established support and follow-up network with your fellow chapter leaders, facilitators, and mentors.
Who Should Apply?
Previous classes of the SVA Leadership Institute represent a wide diversity of backgrounds and experiences. In general, SVA is looking for the following three core strengths in each attendee:
- Growth Mindset: You’re a dedicated life-long learner who recognizes the need to sharpen skills not only in leadership but all aspects of life.
- Humility: You’re receptive to discussing and adopting new concepts and leadership philosophies, even when they may challenge your own.
- Collaborative: You believe strongly in working as a member of a team and adopting a mentality which is conducive to collaboration and sharing of responsibility.
The Leadership Institute will be held from October 2nd-23rd. Apply before September 24th!
3 Steps to Apply:
- Online Application: Take a few moments to detail your background, educational goals, and leadership interests.
- Video Submission: Share what motivates your service to others, and what makes you a good fit for the Leadership Institute in one minute or less—see below for additional details.
- Selection: Final acceptance decisions will be made by mid-October and all applicants will be notified.
A 60-second video is required with all applications. Submissions should demonstrate your potential to both contribute to the experience, as well as benefit from it. Video submissions do not need to professionally produced, but they should be professional in nature, and speak to the your personal narrative. Watch example 1 and example 2 for additional guidance and download instructions here. Please include the hashtag #SVALeads.
The SVA Leadership Institute Experience
- Training: Our curriculum is designed to equip you to serve and create a lasting community of impact.
- Mentorship: You’ll be coached directly by SVA Alumni mentors in groups of 10 on leadership behavior, personal branding, fostering relationships, and driving impact.
- Advocacy: SVA’s National Headquarters Staff will coach attendees on the latest developments in national policy and advocacy for student veterans, supporters, and allies.
- Engagement: Attend virtual discussions and team building activities with your mentors and leaders in business, nonprofit, and advocacy.
Sponsored with generous support by: