The Leadership Institute
Become an SVA Leadership Fellow. This premier student leadership experience brings together our country’s top chapter leaders through an immersive experience designed to equip tomorrow’s leaders to serve and create a lasting community of impact.
Student Veterans of America Leadership Institute Applications open Fall 2024
October 17-20, 2024
Westin Washington, Downtown Washington, D.C.
Why attend The Leadership Institute?
If selected* Student Veterans of America (SVA) will fly you to Washington, DC to attend this immersive leadership experience to develop your core values and hone leadership skills. The application process is competitive; you will leave this experience with the tools needed to better serve others, a lasting network to support you, and an expectation to grow your impact on your campus, in your community, and for your country.
The end result is the development of your personal leadership ethos—that “force” that guides your beliefs, behaviors, and actions—as well as a tight-knit community of fellow chapter leaders and mentors to support your growth.
*All costs are covered for those who have applied and are selected to attend.
What You’ll Learn:
- Understand your most impactful core values.
- Learn how core values directly support and reinforce your leadership ethos.
- Create a defined personal leadership vision to directly support the “why” behind that ethos.
- Develop an action plan to see your vision come to fruition.
- Join an established support and follow-up network with your fellow chapter leaders, facilitators, and mentors.
Who Should Apply?
Previous classes of the Student Veterans of America Leadership Institute represent a wide diversity of backgrounds and experiences. In general, SVA is looking for the following three core strengths in each attendee:
- Growth Mindset: You’re a dedicated life-long learner who recognizes the need to sharpen skills not only in leadership but all aspects of life.
- Humility: You’re receptive to discussing and adopting new concepts and leadership philosophies, even when they may challenge your own.
- Collaborative: You believe strongly in working as a member of a team and adopting a mentality that is conducive to collaboration and sharing of responsibility.
The Leadership Institute is open to all chapter leaders currently enrolled or those who have recently graduated. Any virtual Leadership Institute attendees are welcomed to apply for this year’s event.
Only Four Steps to Apply:
1. Create a MySVA Account: Leadership Institute applications are available only through MySVA
2. Video Submission: Share what motivates your service to others, and what makes you a good fit for the Leadership Institute in one minute or less—see below for additional details. Make sure your video submission is complete as it is a part of the application process. Please follow these instructions for your Leadership Institute application video submission.
A 60-second video is required with all applications. Submissions should demonstrate your potential to both contribute to the experience, as well as benefit from it. Video submissions do not need to be professionally produced, but they should be professional in nature, and speak to your personal narrative. Watch example 1 and example 2 for additional guidance and download instructions here. Please include the hashtag #SVALeads
3. Online Application: Take a few moments to detail your background, educational goals, and leadership interests.
4. Selection: Final acceptance decisions will be made a month before the event and all applicants will be notified.