VFW-SVA Legislative Fellowship
This annual program provides 10 exemplary VFW members who are student veterans the opportunity to make their voices heard on Capitol Hill and in their community.
To continue empowering tomorrow’s leaders the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. (VFW) and Student Veterans of America (SVA) will once again host the 2023 VFW-SVA Legislative Fellowship, providing up to 10 exemplary student veterans the opportunity to make their voices heard on Capitol Hill and in their community. This program has been held annually since 2014.
Candidates will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Current VFW membership (or eligible for VFW membership)
- Proof of current enrollment (e.g. unofficial transcript, class schedule, letter from school, etc.) at an accredited college or university.
- Proof of military service (DD214-member 4 copy, preferred). Click here to make sure you are protecting your personal information on your DD214.
- This program is open to all majors, and some may be eligible for college credits.
- Submission of an essay (length between 400 and 600 words) based on one of the following four topic areas:
- Student Veteran success on campus and beyond
- Improving veteran’s health care and benefits
- Transition from military to civilian life
- Challenges for service members and military familieS
- Submission of a 30 to 60 second video describing why you want to become a VFW-SVA Legislative Fellow and the basics of your legislative proposal. For help with your video submission, click here.
- Possible over-the-phone interview with the selection committee
Selected Fellows will be flown to Washington, D.C., to participate in the 2023 VFW National Legislative Conference, March 5th to March 9th, 2023, where they will walk the halls of Congress, educating their legislators on the issues facing today’s student veterans. Fellows will also accompany the VFW advocates from their respective states, as well as break into teams to meet directly with leadership from the committees of jurisdiction on veterans’ issues to include the House and Senate Veterans Affairs Committees.
Expenses covered for the fellowship include airfare, hotel accommodations, local transportation to/from meetings and a per diem allowance to participate in the VFW Legislative Conference.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and related health guidance, certain components of the 2023 VFW-SVA Legislative Fellowship, including but not limited to in-person interactions and events, are subject to change. Please check back regularly for updates.
The deadline for applications is October 15, 2022.