John Edelman Scholars Scholarship
The John Edelman Scholars program offers two $10,000 scholarships annually to students studying degrees toward a career in mental health counseling.
Investing in Student Veteran Mental Health
John Edelman is committed to supporting education that promotes improved mental health to veterans and service-members. He has committed to providing two $10,000 scholarships for high-performing student veterans pursuing degrees/careers in mental health counseling, and through the John Edelman Scholars program, to reward achievement and encourage further study.
Student veterans must meet the following criteria to apply for the John Edelman Scholars Scholarship:
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at a university for the 2023-2024 academic year or intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student at a university in the United States for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Maintaining a strong academic performance.
- Pursuing a degree that will result in a career in mental health counseling or related field, including, but not limited to:
- Psychology, any subfield
- Social work
- Behavioral health
- Must be a current student veteran (includes members of the National Guard or Reserve) as proven by a DD- 214 and transcript, or a student on Active Duty as proven by submission of Active Duty orders and a Memorandum of Understanding from your commanding officer indicating that you are currently in good standing with your unit and transcript.
- Has received an honorable discharge or is in good standing with his/her branch of service.
Students must submit a complete application, including:
- A current copy of a resume or CV
- An unofficial copy of current university transcripts
- Two letters of reference from a professor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to essay questions
- DD 214
- Submit an application to include a short essay answering the following questions:
- Tell us about your previous leadership experiences, whether in high school or during your service. How have you carried these experiences forward in your classroom or in other university activities?
- What led to your desire to pursue a career in mental health, and how do you plan on using your degree to achieve that career?
- In your view, how do mental health challenges impact the veteran population and what are some avenues to improve those challenges?
Application Closed: 3/5/23