Google SVA Scholarship
Google and SVA award eight $10,000 scholarships annually to students studying computer science and related majors.
Investing in Student Veteran Innovation
As part of Google’s commitment to military veterans, the company partners with SVA each year to fund scholarships. The scholarship provides assistance to student veterans who are pursuing university degrees in the field of computer science in the U.S. Selected students will receive $10,000 for the upcoming school year.
Student veterans must meet the following criteria to apply for the Google SVA Scholarship:
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at a university for the 2021-2022 academic year or intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student at a university in the United States for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Maintaining a strong academic performance.
- Pursuing a Computer Science or Computer Engineering degree, or a degree in a closely related technical field*.
- Must be a current student veteran (includes members of the National Guard or Reserve) as proven by a DD- 214 and transcript, or a student on Active Duty as proven by submission of Active Duty orders and a Memorandum of Understanding from your commanding officer indicating that you are currently in good standing with your unit and transcript.
- Has received an honorable discharge or is in good standing with his/her branch of service.
Related Technical Fields may include:
- Software Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (with a heavy computer science course load)
- Computer Engineering
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Applied Networking
- Systems administration
Related Technical Fields do not include:
- Civil, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Students must submit a complete application, including:
- A current copy of a resume or CV
- An unofficial copy of current university transcripts
- Two letters of reference from a professor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to essay questions
- DD 214
Essay Questions (500 words each):
- Please give us one example of how you have exhibited leadership. Explain what you were trying to achieve, your role, how you influenced others, and the impact as a result of your actions. Think broadly and examine the many ways you are having an effect on the members of the different communities you are a part of. Keep in mind, the example you choose does not need to be a formal or traditional leadership role.
- What is a significant challenge that impacts student veterans in the field of technology and what do you believe is the root cause of this challenge? What actions have you taken to address this challenge? Keep in mind that impact can happen in many ways and at different scales. Please focus at least half of your response on the actions you have taken.
- Describe any financial circumstances affecting your need for a scholarship. In your answer be sure to describe any obstacles you have overcome to get to where you are today. What goals will this scholarship enable you to accomplish?
APPLICATION CLOSED JANUARY 31, 2022